Wednesday, September 5, 2012

DIY: "Home is where the You are" Places you Love/ have Lived ♥



I couldn't resist doing a DIY post and this one was the winner! I had went to Goodwill with my Mama when I was visiting her house recently and grabbed a few things that caught my eye. Pretty random I know but that's me! All at great prices and thought I could add spunk to the poor things.. I had an idea previously to make maps of States we (as a Military family) have lived together in. Something to have on the wall to bring back memories.. I originally thought of using actual maps of the States but my Oldest painted with Water Colors at Bushie's House.. Then the idea just came to me! Why not make the States out of Little Man's art work?! Hello?! Awesome! So here's what I did...

WARNING! I will tell you that I didn't have much to work with so I just worked with what I had.. Bare with me please:)

Things you will need:
  1. Wooden Plaque- You can get one at any Crafts Store (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joann Fabrics, etc.) I just got mine from Goodwill for $3.50. 
  2. Acrylic Paint- I will say this is PERFECT if you mess up (I did- not gonna lie) and it just wipes off while it's wet! You can also pick them up at your local Craft Store for normally less then a dollar per bottle when on sale.
  3. Mod Podge (Gloss)- This is a must in every Craft Room anyways but this will make sure your Paint is on (doesn't wash off). Also, makes the paint look even and shiny. This will also be used for making your State Map that you have created stick on the plaque.
  4. Paint Brushes (not pictured)- Obviously you'll need something to put on the Paint and Mod Podge.. I used a Round Acrylic Paint Brush for the little things and a Hair Coloring Brush (Gotta work with what ya got!) I would recommend to use a Actual Paint Brush you use to paint walls with.. 
  5. Map of State(s) (not pictured)- So... My Printer does work so I wasn't able to do this.. So i took a piece of paper and traced over my Laptop... I know.. But normal people would get a map or print one off. I'm clearly not normal..
  6. Heart Shaped Item- You can use anything for this really. I had Heart Shaped Buttons and thought they would do.
  7. Hot Glue Gun- This is to apply your heart shaped items. You also can use a strong glue. I would recommend this though.
Random's (not pictured): Scissors and Pencil

Optional For State Map: Art, Pictures, Music notes, Fabric, Anything you would like!! Like I said I used my Son's Water Color Painting and thought it would be a nice way to display it rather then on the Fridge..  

Step 1: Paint Plaque
Since I used a plaque that was already painted I didn't need to sand or prime it.. Not sure really what you'll be doing but make sure that the surface is even and not rough.. So when you paint your plaque make sure the paint goes on even. You may or may not need to add a few coats depending on the color. This also should be done the night before so you can let dry. After you are done you can reward yourself with a Chocolate bar like I did:)




Step 2: Apply a coat of Mod Podge

MOD PODGE!!! Oh do I love my Mod Podge:) After your plaque has dried you will want to put a even coat on. It is VERY important that you do so. Otherwise it will come out streaky and smudgy. It will have this white glossy look to it until it starts to dry so don't be alarmed! 


 -State Map Art-

Step 1: Trace States

While your waiting for the plaque to dry you will want to start on your State maps! Yeay! Here is my proof that I traced my maps.. I feel like a hillbilly. Anyways, If you choose to "jazz up" your States you  will want to start out by cutting them out. You really don't need to be perfect just get the shape down. I didn't include any of the States Islands.. You can if you would like! 


So here is my finished product.. Not bad right! Well now you have to trace your State on what ever you chose to use.. If you are just using normal maps you are taking the easy route my friend! Anyways, when you are done tracing you will want to cut out your traced map. Then you end up with this..


Step 2: More Mod Podge!

 Your almost done with the maps! Now all you have to do is Mod Podge your Maps. If you are using Fabric you won't need to do this step. 


Make sure your even again! VERY important! Also, with paper of any sorts you will need to make sure that you lift up your map so it doesn't stick to whatever it is on. After it dries it will be harder. 


Back to Original Steps..

Step 3: Finish Touch ups

I personally couldn't handle just having the plaque be black.. I had to add life to it:) So I just added a different color to every side.. If you do this you might have to add a couple layers (I had too). 




Step 4: Apply State Maps on Plaque

I know you might be getting sick of the Mod Podge... Your almost done. After your corners dry your going to put another layer on. While your plaque is still damp put down your States how ever you would like them. Make sure you put them down evenly and flat. Little Man's art was already wrinkled so it just added a little life to it. Then you will put your last coat of Mod Podge over the States. Make sure it's even! Then let it dry..


Step 5: Glue Buttons/ Heart shaped item(s) on Plaque

This is one of my favorite things to do... Hot Glue things! So fun! You will want to apply your heart shaped item where you would like it. That easy! Just make sure you don't burn yourself with the glue.. It hurts.






Optional:
Step 6: Add a cute quote or saying

I thought "Home is where you are" was perfect for us. Being away from each other for long periods of time has made me realize this. No matter where you are it's not home without your loved one. Okay enough of my mushy mushy.. I also used the Acrylic Paint. It is NOT easy writing with a paint brush so be prepared! You can also use a Vinyl some how! I'm sure there is something on Pinterest LOL. This is the last time you will have to Mod Podge. Then you, my friend, are finally finished.. 


Final Product:





If you haven't lived in different states you also could do favorite vacation spots, places your family or friends live, road trips! Anything you can think of:)

I hope you have enjoyed this post! It was a fun project and made my creative side of the brain work harder. I would LOVE to see any of your projects to see what everyone else comes up with! I really like doing the DIY post so I will make sure I come up with something soon! Thank you for taking your time to read. Love y'all!

God Bless,
Hillary







No comments:

Post a Comment