Wednesday, September 19, 2012

DIY: Button & Burlap Monogram Plaque


I'm back! I know it's been a couple weeks since I posted last.. My mind has been a creative mess and I have been jumping project to project.. So I finally took the time to make a cute, fun, and easy project:) I really like personal Crafts and Decor around my house just to make it more "homey" and personal. So I put a few ideas together and here's what I got:) So here is all you need:

(Only few of the things you need)


1. Plaque- You can pick one up at any craft store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Jo Ann's) and there are a bunch of different sizes to choose. Like I said in my last post I went "Treasure Hunting" at the Goodwill and found a bunch of odds and ends. This plaque was like a '70s portrait of a bird that I soaked and sanded. Only paid $2.00!

2. Acrylic paint- I have so many that I didn't need to go out to get any.. I guess you can call me an Acrylic Hoarder;) But they can be also found at all Craft Stores.. They only cost about $1 each.. 

3. Permanent Marker- So you can trace the Monogram/Letter on the Burlap. Make sure the marker isn't a thick one.

4. Scissors- Obviously you'll need these. As long as they cut through Burlap nice and clean your good!

5. Paint Brush- I somehow lost the Paint Brush I bought so I had to use my Hair Coloring Brush again. This is just one of my many LOL moments.


6. Burlap- You can find Burlap pretty cheap around this time of the year because of the Autumn looking style. I got .33yards for only $1 at Jo Ann's and it was more then enough! Just to warn you it gets a little messy while you cut it..

7. Hot Glue Gun- My favorite weapon! Every Crafter should have one.. You can find one for around $6 at any Craft Store. 

8. Buttons- Ohh buttons.. I would be lying if I said I loved them. I spilled them ALL over my wood floor and trying to pick them up before your 1yo -who eats everything he sees- gets them.. It's not fun. I got them at Michael's in a bulk amount for about $5. I do love the bright colors though!

9. A Monogram or a Printed letter- My printer is broken (like I said last post) so I like to work with what I have.. I (again) traced a letter on a piece of paper. I'm crazy I know.. It works!Make sure that the letter is not to big and not to small for the Plaque. The font I used was Lobster 1.3.



So here's all the things you need! If you already have some of the items then this will be a very cheap project! So you'll still have $$ in your pocket and a new piece to your home:) Now since you have all the things you'll need let's start!!


Step 1: Paint Your Plaque


Just as easy as it says. Make sure you give the paint time to dry. I painted mine the night before so I could put on my second coat in the morning. Depending on the color you will most likely want to put on two coats.



Step 2: Cut the Burlap

This can be a little tricky.. Depending on the Burlap that you get and how stretched out it is you will want to plan out carefully. It tends to fray easy. You'll see when you start cutting. I cut mine in between the lines as you can see in the picture so I had a little room to play with. I just cleaned up what I needed to after I glued it on the plaque. Just to make sure you don't cut to much.

Step 3: Glue Burlap on Plaque


Like I said in the step before make sure you don't cut to much off. I laid the glue all over the Plaque while it was hot and laid the Burlap down. *Be careful to not BURN yourself! The glue will seep through the holes in the fabric* So you might need a book to help push it down. Then once you glued all the Burlap down you can clean the sides up. Saves from having oopies! 


Step 4: Cut out Monogram or Letter


My Tracing skills are getting perfected by not having a working printer! So for you normal people out there who have printed out your Monogram or Letter just cut it out! Make sure it fits your Plaque before you do so.


Step 5: Trace your Monogram or Letter


This part you really need to make sure you don't mess up. Since the Permanent Marker is very visible. I saved this part till my little one was occupied so I had a steady hand:)

Step 6: Lay your Buttons out then start Glueing 


Your almost done!! All you have to do is make sure that you lay the Buttons out so you can see where they will be and rearrange if you need to. Then once your ready to start glueing go ahead! This part might take longer then any of the other steps if you want to make it look perfect:) Then once your done step back and enjoy your new piece of art!!




And there you go!! I told you it is quick and easy (unless you have kiddies and then it always takes long!) With your project you can always somehow make it your own also. Like changing the Buttons to Beads or Painting the Burlap. Anything that makes it your own.. I love when I see what other people have done with the projects I post! Don't feel weird or that your copying at all! I made this Blog to share my Ideas to everyone:) I'm honored. So if you have tried out this craft please send me a picture! I would love to see! 

I hope you all enjoyed as I did making it! I really love doing these kinds of things to put my mind at ease and just let my creative side of me take over. It's my way of getting away from it all. There is a creative side to everyone. Once you find that art in you, your unstoppable. May God bless!

-Hillary













No comments:

Post a Comment